I just happened to check my work email from home this morning and scanned through my “junk” email box just to see if anything important got sent there accidentally. I got so excited when I saw an email with the subject line, “Hello from Kristine and Olegs.” Rob was at work so I called him to let him know we got an email from the kids!!! Of course, he wanted to know what they had to say so I attempted to “unjunk” the email and read it. My excitement quickly turned into desperation when I kept getting an error message that said “page not available.” Needless to say, I clicked on it again and again, not believing this was happening. I kept getting the same error message over and over!! It was all I could do to keep from banging the computer against the wall. ARRRGGGHHH!! We had an email from our kids in Latvia and I couldn’t open it!!!! Talk about feeling helpless!!!
Well, it dawned on me that it was probably our protective firewall at work that was preventing me from “unjunking” my junk emails from my home computer. The only way we could access that email would be for me to either wait until I go back to work on Tuesday or get in the car immediately and drive downtown to my office so I can check my email from work. There was NO way I was gonna wait 2 more days to find out what their email said. So what if it takes a day trip to get there and back [sarcasm noted here]. In my mind there was no choice. Rob knew I wouldn’t be able to stand it otherwise…plus, he also wanted to know what the kids had to say. This probably sounds so silly, but those of you who are adopting know what I’m talking about. Any communication we get from our kids is more precious than anything.
Since Grandmother loves car rides, I loaded her up and took her with me on the drive to work. It made me feel better about making this silly trip to check an email. It gave us a chance to spend some quality time together so that made it okay. Winston came along for the ride too.
As you can imagine, it was such a relief to get to work and FINALLY open that email. Olegs and Kristine had sent it to us Friday after school so it had been sitting in my junk email box since Friday morning our time. As soon as I opened it, I immediately forwarded it to Rob at the shop so we could read it at the same time. An added bonus was that the kids wrote to us in English. Someone obviously helped them and we were so relieved that we didn’t have to try to decipher an email written in Latvian. They wrote just a few short sentences but the highlights were the parts where they told us they want to come to America and that they miss us and love us very much (talk about melting your heart!). They told us that yesterday was their first day of school and that they liked it because they got to see their friends. They thanked us for calling them and said they enjoy our phone visits. They are also excited that we are coming to Latvia soon.
Talk about making our day!! We’ve reread the email over and over. We just can’t help it. We’ll be calling Olegs and Kristine tomorrow morning for our weekly chat and can’t wait to hear their voices!!
No comments:
Post a Comment